Unicef Child Friendly Cities and Communities Project in Derry City and Strabane is a partnership between the Western Area Outcomes Group and the Derry City and Strabane District Council under the Action planning priority “Work Together to include the Voice of Children and Young People
As Part of this project 2 Discovery events were held on Thursday evening 6 February and Friday 7 February in the Guildhall in Derry
The morning session which presented the local context with regards to child rights and priorities for children and young people, with videos and presentation from young people on the Youth Advisory group highlighting issues affecting them.
33 people were in attendance at the discovery evening on the Thursday which gave some of the young people an opportunity to get used to the space and explore the feedback and materials for the discovery day before welcoming the adults. 131 adults, children and young people attended the Discovery Day and the engagement throughout the day was fantastic.
Friday’s event included:
– Short Videos
– Unicef Presentation on the picture of Child Rights globally, nationally and regionally
– Visioning of what a child friendly city/community would look like
– Local Presentation on trends within Derry/ Londonderry and Strabane
– Performance from ROE – (Winner of the Best Emerging Artist at the Northern Ireland Music Prize and supporting shows with Snow Patrol, Kodaline, Robbie Williams and The Coronas.)
– Working together to choose the Unicef badges